Author Topic: Born into a Haunted House  (Read 8696 times)

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
    • Adelaide's Haunted Horizons
Born into a Haunted House
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
A lot of people ask, "what got you started in this passion?"

Well, I was born into a supposedly haunted house.  In fact if any of you have watched the Black Adder series, season 2 where Edmund goes to seek advice from the wisewoman about his attraction to his servant , bob, then my claim to fame is that the wise woman's father in real life was supposedly the 'ghost' in our house.

It started even before I was born.  My parents purchased the house prior to their honeymoon and whilst away my grandparents decided it would be a nice surprise to decorate it for them.  My grandparents would put the lids back on the paint pots and place them neatly in a corner at the end of a day, only to return to find them hurled across the room the next morning.

Of course then the children were born, including myself, and strange things were experienced by us all.  It seemed to be centred upstairs and as kids we would draw the short straw as to who would run up there and grab the hot water bottles.  Well, fortunately I wasn't included in that as I am a lot younger then my siblings by over 7 years.

Wardrobe doors would open and close (one sister has a phobia of having old style wardrobes in her house), items would be moved and reappear later, disembodied eyes were reported by my sisters being seen in the corner of their room.  My mum was the only one to physically see him, waking up one night to find a man at the foot of her bed.  She described him as having prominent eyes.  On talking to a neighbour one day, the subject came up and the neighbour fetched a photograph of the old owner of our house who had died.  He did indeed have prominent eyes.  He apparently had Graves Disease that made them bulge, much like Marty Feldman.  That would explain the link to eyes no doubt. 

My earliest childhood memory was of being in my bedroom and hearing raspy breathing coming from in the room with me.... like somebody struggling to breathe.  My second is my brothers toy daleks starting up on their own after I had sneaked into his bedroom to play (he always had more exciting toys... what can I say!)

It turned out that the gentleman who owned the house, had been at the local pub one New Year's Eve.  He had been returning home when he suffered severe head injuries.  There was conjecture as to whether he was mugged or had been drunk and fallen over a wall.  Whichever it was, it appeared he still was attached to his house.  His wife sold it to us as she couldn't cope being there anymore.  She would sleep downstairs as if she went upstairs she said could feel him there. 

One thing I do remember though is after we moved down the back lane to a bigger house... I would walk an extra block to avoid this house when visiting my friend who lived 2 doors down from it.  That fear followed me into my 20's and included me having to sleep with lights on for many years.

So this is why I got into research, I wanted answers... but not at the expense of lying to myself as to what it was which is why when I do investigate and research I try and keep it on a rational level.  I am happy to find answers whether natural or not so easy to explain!

So that is my early ghost story.  Now I look forward to hearing some of yours  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:02:01 AM by Alison »
Adelaide's Haunted Horizons
Adelaide's Multi-Award winning Ghost Tours
www.adelaidehauntedhorizons.com.au
www.facebook.com/AdelaideHauntedHorizons

Kathryn

Re: Born into a Haunted House
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »
Great story Alison.

My first experience occured when I was very young, about 5/6 years old. I spent alot of time with my grandparents as a child and came from a very close family. My grandparents lived in the 'family' home of 20 odd years at Largs Bay. At the time my nana's mother (my great grandmother) was still alive and they built a two story townhouse which attatched to the main house for her to live in. I have such fond memories of my time spent in this house with my family that I would love to one day buy the property as it was the place where my nana was most happy.

I was very fond of my great grandma and loved climbing the stairs to say hello to her whenever I was visiting. On my visits I would also meet my great grandpa, he would sit at the top of the stairs in a comfy as you walked into the living area on the left hand side of the room. Most of the time he was smoking a pipe but he would never say anything and just sat there watching us. I remember being a little wary of him because he didn't smile at me. In recent times, after discussions with my mum and asking questions about my family I was to discover that he infact passed away many years before I was born.

My mum also had an experience with him walking through her bedroom after he had passed away. I still live in the local area and rumour has it that someone that once rented the property was convinced that the house was haunted. The house has been up for sale at least 4 times since my granparents lived there.

I have had two other experiences in recent times in the townhouse I live in but those stories are for another time :)

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
Hi Kathryn and welcome to our brand new forum :)  Good to see you are already making yourself at home.

I love hearing stories about 'friendly ghosts', after all, if it is true and ghosts do exist then my argument would be that they were only people once.  Somebody's child, parent or grandparent..  So why would the majority of ghosts want to harm people?  I would hope if I die tomorrow and become a ghost that I wouldn't suddenly become some evil monster lol.

What a wonderful story about your grandfather.  I can understand why you would really want to buy that house and bring it back into the family.  If your grandfather is still there I would imagine he would be happy for that too instead of having all those strangers there.  If I was in your shoes I would be tempted too.   Did he ever acknowledge you in any way or talk to you?

Would love to hear any other experiences you have had :)

Kathryn

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the welcome. He never spoke to me he was simply just there 'watching'.

I have had two experiences in my house. When I moved in, i always had a feeling that I wasnt alone and that there was someone always behind at the (left) of me. One day I was heading upstairs and something wacked me over the head causing me to duck and think 'what the'. No idea why, or who, but it rattled me. Sounds completely nuts but it made me head downstairs, grab my keys and leave for the rest of the day. The feeling that someone is 'here' has gone.

MMmmmmmmm

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Maybe somebody trying to get your attention?  You said two times in the townhouse you live, what was the other one?
Do you have any background history to the house or the area?

SkittlesFTW

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
great stories guys!

As i mentioned in my introduction, i lived in a haunted house when i was in my late teens and early 20's ( it was my first house i lived in out of home )

There isnt anything particular about the house, its just a normal house in Manningham but weird things would be an often occurence, almost to the point of normality.

My Brother would be shaving in the bathroom mirror which faced the doorway to the hallway and he would see dense black shadows dart accross the doorway, we would see shadows in the mirrors in the lounge. One time when my ex-partner and i were sleeping in the lounge on a sofabed i simply could not sleep because i felt i was being watched, i had to get up and close all the doors to the room.

But my most profound experience in this house was one night, we had been watching a movie and it was quite late at night. We both got up to make the walk down the long hallway from our bedroom at the front of the house to the kitchen right at the back of the house. On the way back, after we had switched off the kitchen light, the hallway was pitch black, i couldnt see anything so i was feeling my way along the wall when i bumped into someone. I thought it was my ex but when i said "oh sorry!" she turned on the light at the other end of the hall in the bedroom... i was compleatly alone in the long hallway, where there was nothing i could have walked into.

At the time i didnt think anything of it, i just immedietly went back to bed. It wasnt untill i was laying there did i realise what had just happened and got a chill. I could have sworn it was a person, i felt it arm rebound off my leg and everything.

Its something i will never forget.

It was after this experience did we conduct our own EVP in the house, which was both successfull in the way that we got a lot, but also frightening with what we heard and it seemed to 'stir up' more activity. Mostly of things being moved and voices in the dark or white noise of a fan.

anyway, thats my story :D

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.  It is amazing how much activity centres around bathrooms and mirrors.  Many of the cases we were called out to involved these two areas.

Did you get any definite voices on the EVP and if so did you get any answers as to who it could be there?

SkittlesFTW

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
We did get definite voices one predominant male and one small child (amongst others) however they didn't identify themselves unfortunatly. However in a turn of the tables he asked who we were, so next session we introduced ourselves. My friend who was doing the sessions with us might still have the files, I'll see if I can get my hands on them.

The child sounded pleased to be talking to someone, one file actually got it saying "I'm so glad you're here"

The man didn't sound so pleased. One file sounded like he said "I am in hell." He also would ask us where we were going as we were saying thank you and goodbye for the night.

But like I said, I'll get the files and upload them to you if you like :)

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:56 AM »
That would be fantastic to hear.  My favourite things out of all of the stuff we use is EVP.  I find it very intriguing, especially the good ones.  If you can get hold of them I would definitely like to hear them :)

The figure you bumped into in the hallway... you felt it was male?  Do you know any of the history there before the house was built?