Author Topic: Tailem Town Ghost Tour  (Read 6328 times)

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
    • Adelaide's Haunted Horizons
Tailem Town Ghost Tour
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
This tour really took us by surprise.  Although ghost stories had been filtering out of the village from time to time, especially from the Wolseley Church, we didn't expect it to be more then mostly history with a few experiences thrown in.  Nearly 2 years later the village still throws surprises at even us.

Peter, the owner believed that his mother is the one that could haunt the church as this was her favourite building.  In fact some of you may remember that Hamish and Andy went looking for her on their trip across Australia.  Then a child was reported being seen in the back room by members on our tour, to which at first I put down to imagination and a trick of torchlight.  However, the reports kept coming so again I thought we had another nice spirit maybe in the Church and he was nicknamed 'Harry' after a memorial window to a 10 year old boy in the Chuch.  Great... but still nothing like the Adelaide Gaol which  I had been conducting tours for nearly 8 years for.

The turning point for me came on the night I saw a tall dark figure of a man step into the church on one of our tours.  All of us heard him and two of us saw him.  Not concerned, I told the tour it was just my staff member, Ash, who had returned from seeing somebody out to the carpark with Anna.  Not hearing a reply from him, I quickly shone my torch to the rear of the church to find nobody was there.  When popping my head outside I could see Anna and Ash returning, although they were still at the other end of the village.  I have now seen this dark figure 4 times.  My team and staff will be the first to tell you... I don't see things!  In fact in the 10 years in the gaol, I had only ever glimpsed a misty form and a shadowy figure twice.  This village certainly had my attention!

Since this time we have had many things happen.  In fact statistically we have more things happen here then we ever did at the Gaol in the same period of time.  The rational, researcher side of me is finding it is getting harder to rationalise what is happening but at the same time finding the evolution of it very intriguing.  Yes, yes... you are ALL my guinea pigs when you enter the Village  :P 

We have had more people leave that Church in tears after people swear they have been prodded, poked, pinched or suddenly have emotional changes, then we have ever had at the Gaol.  In fact, in the 8 years of guiding at the Gaol I have never had anybody leave upset or in tears.  You would think if it was merely imagination then the Gaol would be the place for it to happen, after all it has a dark history of murders and suicides and I give the same upbeat tour in both. 

It certainly has me looking forward to each and every tour there, not only because in this time we have met some fantastic people, but because you feel the place has many surprises left to spring on us yet!
Adelaide's Haunted Horizons
Adelaide's Multi-Award winning Ghost Tours
www.adelaidehauntedhorizons.com.au
www.facebook.com/AdelaideHauntedHorizons

Frank

Re: Tailem Town Ghost Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
Hi Alison,

thought I'd share our experience of visiting the Wolseley Church at Old Tailem Town (though not on a tour, just a general visitor).  My wife and I took our 10 y.o. niece to OTT as she was holidaying with us, this was the first time we had been to the town even though we are local and friends with Peter and I went to school with his son Danny (oops!).   The day was warm but there was no wind and few people, we entered the church and within a couple of minutes the temperature in the hall dropped noticably and when my wife suggested we leave the door to the rear of the church slammed shut so violently that dust was dislodged from the light fittings.   After leaving and visiting some of the other buildings we mentioned the church to our friend who is a volunteer at OTT, whose response was simply "I dont go in there!"

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
Hi Frank and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for sharing your experience at the town.  Yeah that church can turn pretty cold very quickly.  As I said in my original post, "I believe it has many surprises yet.".. and it has had.  I will be putting some of the incidents on tour up in the next week or so.

It is really great to hear other people's experiences off tour, especially daytime experiences.  I am going to guess that the volunteer you talked to was the one that had an experience herself in the Church.  When I went up to interview her, she was shaking like a leaf and refused to go back in.

If you ever go back there would love to hear if you have anything more happen.

Has anybody else ever experienced a daytime incident?

Anna

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »
Hi Frank you had a interesting Day there.Did your wife feel the same.

Alison

• Administrator
  • Alison
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
Another daytime incident was reported to me at the weekend.  Apparently a gentleman who was with his family had walked into the Church and heard the organ playing when nobody was there.  He reported it to the staff at Tailem Town.